Tuesday, September 24, 2013

warrior mama; warrior child

For all the future 'hard days' and 'big steps': it will be okay.

A full 7 hours away from mama. Eli was a gem. I ached in a really deep way. Mama bear separated from her cub. Now I understand that low, mournful bellow a mama cow makes when she is separated from her calf. I feel ya.

I got through by sheer willpower and distraction. Past the first few minutes at work, I was alright. A big tight hug held me together. Obvious.

Seeing my boy made all the dark clouds fly out of the evening sky.

Coming home, big smiles and sweet sweet nursing. My body missed you, too.

Now?

Crockpot chicken and dumplings, a glass of cold wine, a sleeping babe, and so much pride. For myself, for my son.

I look back at the last year. Wow. I look, I did look, at how hard I fought for him. I looked deeply at my choices and came to this conclusion:

I am a warrior, and I made this boy of strength and love.

I worry and worry about the challenges he might face, and the heartbreak, and so much more. But then I remember:

We are sweet sweet warriors.

No comments: