Sunday, August 25, 2013

reminisce and rejoice

I'm starting to really ache for fall.

Not being a hot-weather girl, and now having a very unhappy little overheated boy, this summer sort of sucked the life out of me. Now, to be honest - I WAS almost 42 weeks pregnant, and then recovering with a newborn. That's a lot. But this was an unusually long and hot summer here in the Pacific Northwest. Some people are crazy over it. Me?

Give me fall.

Give me pumpkins and apples and squash. Boots, scarves, tights, jackets. Give me sweet spices wafting from the oven and stews bubbling on the stove. Snuggling up cozy at night and fuzzy socks all day. That crisp in the air that wakes me right up.

Oh please, I can't wait!

I know there is still probably another month of summer left here, but the skies have been occasionally grey and damp, and the temperature dropping at night. There is hope.

Here, with crunchy leaves so often come rain to make it all sloppy and sad. But, it's okay. Because something about this fall just feels special.

I've been having quiet little flashback/premonitions. These things I can't explain properly to anyone, they just think I'm kookoo nuts. Maybe. But I know what I know. These often brief, always inescapable moments of I've dreamed this. But I haven't, I've just known it. That 'other', really in-touch part of me has know it before. Or lived it in a past life. I don't know.

All I know is that when I start having a lot of these moments, it usually means I'm on the right track. That I'm right where I'm supposed to be in that moment. And they keep hitting me, day after day. Even hardest days. They mean this is right and good things are coming.

And, so, in the middle of a lot of hard choices, I rejoice.

Fall is coming. And it will be spectacular.

No comments: